Colorful, acidic, and nutrient-dense, they make a wonderful addition to salads, soups, and even desserts.
High in iron and iodine, root can even be used to treat anemia and thyroid-related disorders. Plus, it’s high in vitamin C, folate, and potassium .
Health Benefits Of Beets
Here are just a few of the great properties of the red vegetable:
- Beets contain polyphenols and betalains, which have to ability to reverse and prevent oxidative damage . Polyphenols also prevent cardiovascular disease.
- They contain various vitamins, including B-complex vitamins, which strengthen capillary walls and prevent cognitive decline .
- Beets contain a slew of minerals , including potassium and folate, which promote heart health . Plus, they contain magnesium, which benefits bone health; iron and phosphorus, which produce energy ; copper, which destroys free radicals ; iodine, which is essential to produce thyroid hormones; and more.
- They contain cobalt, which helps your intestinal bacteria form vitamin B12. This vitamin is essential, alongside folic acid, for the formation of new red blood cells .
- Beets contain folic acid, which revitalizes your body by helping it creating new cells .
- Betalin and other compounds in beets help escort toxins out of your system .
- Beets contain betacyanins and other antioxidants that prevent the growth of cancer cells .
- Their high fiber content improves digestion and gut flora.
- Beets help prevent dementia due to high concentration of nitrates, which are transformed by the body into nitrites. Nitrates improve blood flow to improve the amount of nutrients and oxygen that make their way all the way to your brain .
- They contain more pectin than carrots or apples. Pectin absorbs heavy metals from your body while also removing harmful bacteria from your digestive tract.
And if all the benefits mentioned above weren’t enough, these lovely red veggies have the ability to lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, reverse cognitive decline, improve liver function, and boost your metabolism .
Who could ask for more?
Source : dailyhealthpost